“Why isn’t the mayor here?”
That was the first question asked by an audience member, before the official time for questions began — before anything really began — at the Business for Downtown Hartford’s “Candid Conversations” event. Continue reading 'Conversations with the Candidates: Impressions'»
When we err, we welcome corrections.
The Mayor’s Office sent the following letter to prove that the superintendent was not “unaware” of the budget changes. Notice the date on this letter:
Letter to HPS Superintendent
However, the budget that the superintendent produced and presented to the Board of Education was dated April 7, 2015. That document can be read below.
FY15 16 Budget Book WEB Reduced
Mayor Segarra has released his recommended budget, saying “this Budget is fiscally prudent and accountable to all municipal stakeholders,” but there have been some questions as to how accountability is being defined.
Richard Wareing, Hartford Board of Education Chair, let known his displeasure with what he says are now confirmed rumors about Segarra’s “intent to use over $12m of the Board’s money to balance the City’s budget for FY 2015-16″ and an “approximately $3.5m in Board money to balance the FY 2014-15 budget.”
On this matter, Wareing says he was left in the dark, learning only through “informal sources within City Hall” that OPEB would be poached.
Wareing, in an email to Mayor Segarra, wrote: “I should have the courtesy of a call from you. If you have time for cocktails with Brad Davis and well-heeled contributors, you have time to call me to discuss matters which significantly impact the education of our children.” Continue reading 'Segarra’s Budget: “We’ve Accomplished A Lot Together”'»
Juan A. Figueroa will take a leave of absence from his post as Chief of Staff, with Albert Ilg stepping in as Acting Chief of Staff on April 10, 2015.
Figueroa will be Segarra’s third campaign manager.
Real Hartford inquired with Mayor Segarra’s campaign manager on March 12. We received no response. We asked again on March 15 and were told we would hear back. Our deadline was noon on March 18, 2015.
The fight to keep Moylan Montessori in Hartford has gotten confusing.
There have been claims that Mayor Segarra is promising that Moylan will remain in the city. A petition website says as much.
Nothing has yet been brought to the Board of Education. In January, the BOE voted to allow for property price negotiations for a potential site in West Hartford. This resolution is still in effect, despite an announcement weeks ago that Thom Deller was looking at other sites in Hartford.
Where did the Segarra rumors come from? It seems that through Linda Bayer, this announcement was made at a recent NRZ meeting.
While Pedro Segarra’s campaign is getting some heat for its Twitter account allegedly automatically following anyone that follows it, this is not the first time that interesting choices have been made involving social media and this campaign.
A fundraiser was previously promoted using Grindr, an app that essentially functions more like Tinder, than say, Facebook or Twitter, in that it is designed specifically for dating, finding a husband, or more commonly, hooking up.
(Those now going to look up that site, brace yourselves for the barrage of shirtless men who apparently have time to go to the gym and get tans.)
Continue reading 'Campaigning Season Grinds On'»
There were few surprises in the mayor’s State of the City address, from the nod to deceased firefighter Kevin Bell to the praise for the baseball stadium.
In his speech, Segarra claimed that the $700,000 spent renovating the previously neglected Goodwin Park Golf Course “drives local tourism.” This claim was unsubstantiated with evidence. Noting money spent to improve Keney Park, Segarra said that $4M of CIP funds would go toward club house improvements.
He said there would be 80 new units at Nelton Court “after many delays,” but did not indicate the cause of those delays. Work on that was supposed to have been completed in April 2013, putting this over 2.5 years behind schedule if these complete by the new deadline in October. (Spoiler: Continue reading 'Various Omissions and Unsubstantiated Claims in the State of the City Address'»
If the Planning, Economic, Development and Housing Committee gives it a thumbs’ up, it looks like Mayor Segarra’s reappointment of Sandra Bobowski to the Planning & Zoning Commission will pass on through Court of Common Council.
This will extend the Terry Road resident’s tenure on the PZC from twenty years to 24.
The push for her reappointment following such a long tenure gives the impression that no potential commissioners are lining up for service, but that is inaccurate. Continue reading 'Zoning: How Much is Too Much?'»