Historic brick townhouses with fenced-in and maintained front yards is what you will see on the north side of the first block of Buckingham Street.
Just around the corner on Main Street is the Hartford Dispensary. Next to that, on the corner itself, is a small park that appears unused, and until a few months ago, did not have a sign posted indicating it as an actual park. This patchy strip of grass — larger than Charter Oak Memorial Park, smaller than Barnard Park — has its own fencing, which was spiffed up about a year ago during a neighborhood clean up. It was then that participants heard Charlie Ortiz, Mayor Segarra’s husband, begin to talk about extending a sidewalk to Whitman Court from the area alongside the dispensary.
After that day of cleaning up litter and arranging for almost all the trees to be removed from Buckingham Square Park, everything was quiet until Wednesday night when Ortiz told some residents that he was spearheading a project to extend Buckingham Square Park from where it currently ends — at the driveway between homes and the dispensary — to Whitman Court. Continue reading 'Get Off My Lawn!'»
left-to-right: Luke Bronin, Joel Cruz, Jr., John Gale, Giselle Jacobs, Robert Killian, Mayor Segarra, Lew Brown
Cognitive dissonance: when a candidate goes to a debate for south neighborhoods — set in one of them — and proceeds to claim that this part of the city gets advantages that the north end does not. Continue reading 'Election Season: Debate in the South'»
Councilperson Alexander Aponte has announced that he will be announcing his candidacy for Hartford Probate Judge, a position filled until recently by Robert Killian. In April, Killian resigned and announced his candidacy for mayor.
He has previously served as Corporation Counsel under Mayor Mike Peters. In 2013, Aponte was to face an ethics review.
Following several years of nothing happening, an LGBT Pride rally is planned for later this month at the Old State House.
The event on June 26th will mark 33 years since the first Pride in Connecticut. There will be a re-enactment of the Blue Berets’ picket line, something seen at the first Pride in 1982.
The rally, from 5-7 p.m. is free and open to all ages.
A more entertainment-focused festival is slated for September 12, 2015. The last time we saw any Pride event happen in Hartford, it was held in the fall, apparently to coincide with the anniversary of the legalization of same-sex marriage in Connecticut. Despite having an openly gay mayor, this popular Pride event had vanished during most of his tenure. Mayor Segarra’s husband serves as president for CLARO’s board of directors; CLARO is the non-profit organizing the rally and festival.
“Why isn’t the mayor here?”
That was the first question asked by an audience member, before the official time for questions began — before anything really began — at the Business for Downtown Hartford’s “Candid Conversations” event. Continue reading 'Conversations with the Candidates: Impressions'»
Mayor Segarra has released his recommended budget, saying “this Budget is fiscally prudent and accountable to all municipal stakeholders,” but there have been some questions as to how accountability is being defined.
Richard Wareing, Hartford Board of Education Chair, let known his displeasure with what he says are now confirmed rumors about Segarra’s “intent to use over $12m of the Board’s money to balance the City’s budget for FY 2015-16″ and an “approximately $3.5m in Board money to balance the FY 2014-15 budget.”
On this matter, Wareing says he was left in the dark, learning only through “informal sources within City Hall” that OPEB would be poached.
Wareing, in an email to Mayor Segarra, wrote: “I should have the courtesy of a call from you. If you have time for cocktails with Brad Davis and well-heeled contributors, you have time to call me to discuss matters which significantly impact the education of our children.” Continue reading 'Segarra’s Budget: “We’ve Accomplished A Lot Together”'»
Real Hartford inquired with Mayor Segarra’s campaign manager on March 12. We received no response. We asked again on March 15 and were told we would hear back. Our deadline was noon on March 18, 2015.
John Gale was at Max Bibo’s early, having a pistachio muffin and a coffee. The New York Times was on the table, folded. He put his phone aside, but did answer when one of his daughters called and told her she’d be getting that call returned later. Continue reading 'Mayoral Campaign 2015: John Gale'»