Wesleyan University professor Nikesha Anderson will be giving a talk on “Connecticut’s Role in Stem Cell Research: Questions and Concerns” at 11:30 a.m. in the Hartford History Center. This is cosponsored by the Connecticut Science Center and Hartford Public Library. HHC is located on the top floor of the library. Free.
- Free yoga in Bushnell Park every Monday at 5:30 p.m. Meet on the lawn between the pond and Pump House Gallery. Bring your own mat.
- Yelp Helps & Bear’s Cares: A Fundraiser for K9s for Warriors. Yelp with Bear’s Smokehouse BBQ will be raising funds to provide a service canine for a vet. They say this would be for someone “suffering from post-traumatic stress and/or traumatic brain injury as a result of military service post 9/11″ with hopes that the service canine can help the vet “return to civilian life with dignity and independence.” The event is from 6-9 p.m. at Bear’s on Arch Street. $10, or, you can skip the event and just donate online.
- Learn to Solder class: stop by MakeHartford to learn a cool skill. 6:30-9 p.m. $35. Online registration required. MakeHartford is located at 30 Arbor Street #B7.
- Hartford Jazz Orchestra gives a free performance at the Arch Street Tavern at 8 p.m.
- Free yoga in Keney Park every Tuesday at 10 a.m. Meet on the lawn between the pond and Pond House off of Edgewood Street. Bring your own mat.
- The Hartford Symphony String Quartet will give a free lunchtime performance in Liam E. McGee Memorial Park (née Hartbeat Park) at noon on the rear patio, 140 Garden Street. Rain date: June 3rd.
- Opening day for the West End Farmers’ Market on Clemens Green (385 Farmington Ave). 4-7 p.m.
- Monthly workshop meeting of the Board of Education from 5-7 p.m. at Moylan Elementary School, 101 Catherine Street. No public comment, but the public is welcome to attend.
- Stop by Real Art Ways (56 Arbor Street) for board games, 6-10 p.m. They provide the games. Free.
- Hartford Seminary will be hosting a free screening for Of Many at 7 p.m. Discussion follows.
- Visit The Cottage in Elizabeth Park for the annual sale of tulip bulbs from the park’s Tulip Garden. 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- Discover the Asylum Hill Neighborhood: Mary Falvey leads today’s “Gospels in Stone” tour. 12-1 p.m. Meet at the YWCA at Broad and Farmington. Wear comfortable shoes. Free.
- Free yoga in Elizabeth Park every Wednesday at 5:30 p.m. Meet on the Rose Garden Lawn. Bring your own mat.
- Composting 101: learn best practices in this one-time class. 5:30-7 p.m. at KNOX, 75 Laurel Street. RSVP. 860) 951-7694 ext 28 or email@example.com
- Get HYPEd at The Mezzanine (960 Main). Casual networking event for young professionals. Free. 5:30-8:30 p.m. Bring your business cards.
- Downtown North Project Update and Panel Discussion at Hartford Public Library. Refreshments at 5:30 p.m., program begins at 6. Free.