Meatout is hoping 25,000 take the pledge to eat meat-free for one day, March 20th. To be more precise, the pledge is to be vegan for the first day of spring; this means being able to consume everything except for animals and what they produce, like milk and eggs.
If you are thinking of taking the pledge, you can sort of cheat by not doing the cooking yourself:
- Fire & Spice Vegan Restaurant (248 Sisson Avenue): If you think vegan food is salad, bland tofu, and scraps of bread, Fire & Spice will school you. They offer organic, Rastafarian food.
- The Lion’s Den Vegetarian Restaurant (3347 Main Street): Another “rastarant,” this one near Keney Park.
- Abyssinian Ethiopian/Eritrean Restaurant (533 Farmington Avenue): Flavorful vegetarian and vegan dishes, but meat is served on the premises. No pressure to use utensils.
If you would rather prepare your own food, here are a few recipes designed for people who actually enjoy eating:
- Accidentally Vegan Blackberry Breakfast Bars
- Scramble Tofu Breakfast Banh Mi
- Classic Green Monster
- Maple Baked Lentils with Sweet Potatoes
- Asparagus with Miso Lemon Dressing and Marcona Almonds
- Potato Pierogi with Caramelized Onions
- Pumpkin Quinoa White Bean Chili
- Vegan Meyer Lemon Cheesecake
- Soft and Spicy Ginger Cookies
- Mojito Chocolate Chip Cookies
Have you taken this pledge before? Do you have any recipes to share?